It’s no surprise that Canada is a popular study abroad destination for international students. It provides a diverse and safe atmosphere, as well as inexpensive, high-quality education and profitable post-study employment prospects.
If you plan to study in Canada for more than six months, you’ll need a study permit, which is only valid at institutions designated by the Canadian government as Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs).

Institutions of Higher Learning with Designated Status (DLIs)
A Designated Learning Institution (DLI) is a Canadian educational institution that has been certified by the province or territory to host international students. If you want to pursue higher education in Canada, make sure your institution is on the approved list of DLIs; otherwise, your study permit will be revoked.

What is the procedure for obtaining a study permit?
You’ll need an acceptance letter from your approved DLI, as well as a valid passport or travel document, to receive your study permit. These must be submitted along with financial documentation demonstrating your ability to support yourself and any family members (if any) while studying in Canada. You must demonstrate that you will leave Canada by the conclusion of your authorized stay in order to study in Canada.

Is the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) available to all DLIs?
You must have graduated from a DLI as a pre-requisite for the PGWP Program, however, keep in mind that not all DLIs qualify you for the PGWP Program, i.e., only graduates from certain DLIs are eligible for a work visa. Furthermore, while graduating from an authorized DLI does not immediately grant you a work permit, you must also complete other requirements in order to obtain the PGWP.

Examine your DLI’s COVID-19 readiness strategy.
DLIs that have their COVID-19 preparation plan approved by their provincial or territorial authorities are authorized to invite international students (who are currently outside Canada) to the country, according to the Canadian government’s announcement on October 22.

So, if you’re an international student considering a trip to Canada, make sure you:

  • Your institution is on the list of DLIs with COVID-19 preparation plans that have been authorized.
  • You must have a valid study permit or have been authorized for one.

  • Note that this will apply to all international students, regardless of where they are traveling from.
    Remember that if your DLI isn’t on the list, you won’t be permitted to go to Canada and maybe denied boarding or requested to return from the port of entry.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.


    Contact Us